<$BlogRSDURL$>

I travel and review art exhibits in a manner that you don`t need a phd to grasp. I am attracted by clarity and dialogue rather than the usual artcentrism of specialized readings. I witness as many art shows as any official journalist, but keep in mind that I`m NOT a "writer", merely a purveyor of sentiments and impressions. Because I am based in Montreal this diary will mostly focus on its scene, but I`ll be voicing opinions on major, worldwide issues.

Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Been late 

Been late in posting because I lost
some notebook and panicked, especially
because one had some New York exhibits
notes (Kiki Smith and Chuck Close).

Than the FIFA is here:
www.Artfifa.com

Going to see a bunch of films there.

Already much enjoyed the film
about Matisse`s Vence Chappell
which for its time (early 50`s) was
still an ackward artistic move. The "Cross path"
looked like a series of sketch made in less a minute.
But Matisse intended them to look raw as he never
much was interested in depicting violence. His Virgin Mary
and Saint-Dominique are softlined emptyfaced minimal murals on white, as all the colors in the chapel stand in the light provided by the colorful glasses. It`s a whole installation of a church, every element designed by the hand of Matisse, and seeing it
on film I was as surprised than how must have felt sister Monique, friend of Matisse, when she discovered it.

Also saw...a documentary on Fluxus which
I didn`t like for omitting Joseph Beuys.
But it up-levelled my admiration for Ben Vautier
(my respect salutes to Yoko Ono and Paik along
the way). I felt like I had seen the Roi Vaara
performance clip opener for the zillionth time.

Then I saw an Impressive documentary on Futuro Houses,
those ovni plastic houses from the 70`s designed
by Matti Suuronen. I want one!! Even though they`re totally
non-practical unless used as mere camping deluxe bedrooms.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/imagineer/mags/mag10.htm

One day I`m going to have to review the influence of Spage-Age
on architecture from 1950 to mid 1970, but obiviously we were reaching the end by the time products finally became functional cos they didn`t last. Hey, even Warhol was intrigued by them.

Finally I saw a film on functinalist designer Bruce Matthsson
and I`m surprised how little info there is on the web about
his early glass houses and curled-wooden minimalist chairs.

I`m gonna miss the film on Richard Serra`s installation
in New Zealand....


Cheers,

Ced
Comments-[ comments.]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?