<$BlogRSDURL$>

I travel and review art exhibits in a manner that you don`t need a phd to grasp. I am attracted by clarity and dialogue rather than the usual artcentrism of specialized readings. I witness as many art shows as any official journalist, but keep in mind that I`m NOT a "writer", merely a purveyor of sentiments and impressions. Because I am based in Montreal this diary will mostly focus on its scene, but I`ll be voicing opinions on major, worldwide issues.

Friday, October 08, 2004

Get Back To Where You Once belong 

Hi, I'm writting back here after months of absence.

I've seen many art shows in many places since last April.

This blog was conceived as a personal experience
in descriptive reviewing of art. I am mostly writting
for myself, and my goal is far from pretending
to professional art criticism.

My reviews are usually 3 or 4 times the length
of your usual journal or magazines art review column.

The point I am trying to get across, is that there
is no art reviewing being done that describes
exhibits work by work, providing every titles, explaining
the process of the artist for each piece and all at once
adding quick personal comments.

In most art reviews, we rarely get to see pictures
of works because the process of publishing them
is a bit complex.


Given this context, my art reviewing was intentionally
meant to be as autistic, obsessive, programmatic
and mentally photographic as it seemed.

All this being said, back in April 204, I soon realized that the
amount of exhibits I was visiting cut me on the time to review them all
in row, as I originally planned. Since then, I kept taking all the necessary
notes of every exhibit I saw, but I stopped writting this blog as I was
already 30 exhibits behind when I last posted.

I am instead preparing an art project on the matter, for which I won't
necessarely need to indulge into criticism.

Now for keeping on with this rather bizarre blog,
instead of commenting on every exhibits that I see
(the way I first wished it was to be), I am going to try select some
shows (not necessarely my favorites)
and keep describing them in the manner I originally settled
to do.

I will be refining my format to distance myself
even further from usual art reviewing.


Cheers,

Cedric Caspesyan
centiment@hotmail.com

PS: This very September 2004, I counted a total of around 80 exhibits that I visited
in various places, including New York, Montreal, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Quebec, and Trois Rivieres.
So it's not like I ever stopped seeing art since last April.







Comments-[ comments.]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?